Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Going Shopping…

I’ve got used to people assuming we have a car. When they hear we don’t, by choice in fact, they often then assume we are treehuggers, or say “But it’s so difficult not to have a car.” But really, it isn’t a problem: the problem is that our transport systems are built for cars. Fortunately Germany is getting better at making alternatives.

Last Week I had to pick up a bike helmet. We are getting one for Stephan, so I should have one too: setting an example and all that. I go cycling far less than I’d like at the moment, which is a bit silly as its free and I sit at a desk most of the day: so this 12km round trip seemed like a great opportunity. Besides, we have a network of cycle route locally set out by our local government, bless ‘em, so a bike can often follow a more direct route than a car. And it was a nice day. And I’m really out of shape.

I had to tackle several valleys including the Scary Hill Of Doom, which I would guess is about 25% or 1 in 4 with a sewage farm at the bottom, so you don’t want to overrun.

View down the scary hill of doom.

Having zipped down the S.H. of D, missing sewage farm and two large dogs, there is now just the uphill bit, which offers a choice: a dog leg along a forest road, or straight up this path. I pushed the bike up this path. Did I mention I’m really out of shape?

Reaching the top of the hill I’m wondering if this is a good idea, as I’m already breathing heavily, but the worst is behind me (ie. I have to do it again anyway) so I decide to push on after a quick drink. It’s hot today.

Unpleasant Narrow Road

After a 500metre race along a narrow, busy road currently the subject of an argument between the cities of Stuttgart and Esslingen over who pays for repairs, I can pull off and escape along cycleway through the fields. Of course the wind is against me. Still it will make the return faster. This was once a dead straight way to the next village until someone decided to put an airport runway across it, so time for a detour…

Now it is getting hotter so have a break under an Autobahn bridge, and a chat with a fellow cyclist. Can’t do that in a car. Push on up the hill and to the end of the runway for this picture:

“I’m carbon free, what about you?”

Scuttle around the airport perimeter and into the next valley, dodge a tractor, up the hill, down to the third valley (of four) and back out again. My legs are starting to argue, and it’s getting hot again, but suddenly as I reach the crest, there is the village and I’m almost there…

Symmetry in the Fields...

Another quick rush down into the village between trucks and Mercedes drivers, and one can’t-see-anything-coming-okay-go left turn, and I’m cruising through houses, cross a river and then a totally uncalled for hill is looming. Climb up that and suddenly I’m at the end of the village.

German contrasts. This goat shed is only 100m...


...From this chic bike shop

Unfortunately Stephan’s helmet wasn’t in stock, so I had to do all this again on Tuesday to get Stephan’s helmet… Never mind. It’s good for me…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,
which bikeshop did you go to??? I know some much closer ones...
Anyways, seems you had fun :-)

Andy in Germany said...

Hello Pöltschi...

Never underestimate the nerdiness of a bike freak! I I was sfter a certain make of helmet because I used them when I worked in the bike shop happen to like them. That just happened to be one of the local dealers...