Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Election fever 4 (sort of)

Last night three of us were elected to be on the youth leadership council in the church. I wouldn't describe it as a 'victory': I’m uncomfortable such terms in this context, and anyway, there were only three people standing for the three places, so the decision was ‘take it or leave it’: three faint names (The photocopier is playing up) and a box for ‘I agree’ and ‘I don’t agree’. Personally I thought it would have been more fun to keep the system of last election where we could write the names ourselves, so I could vote for ‘Champion the wonder horse’ or ‘Bilbo Baggins’. It would have felt less odd than making a cross to say I agree with being allowed to stand. On the other hand we now have been voted in rather than just pushed in because there was no one else, which does give us some security.

I was asked to say why I wanted to stand. For the record I’m hoping that the increased focus of discipleship will continue, that people can grow in their relationship to God and in the gifts and vision he has given them. I’m hoping that we can be more of a community in all the messiness that entails, increasingly committed to one another and anyone who we meet, with members of the community listening to God and doing what he says. I’m hoping that we can continue moving away from a ‘top down’ leadership and that we will work for justice and the hidden poor in our village.

If I help push some of that along while in the Leitungskreis I see that as a good thing.

If I can influence us to rely less on consumption and car use, I’d be happy too.

I sound more like a Christian anarchist every day…

No comments: