This was an 'Abend(B)rot' weekend: a modern service, but in the evening instead of the morning. This happens a couple of times in the year, but we aren't too worried because it means a bit more freedom and less liturgy. We try and introduce something new into every presentation. This time it was in the form of this canvas painted by a team member, which was really exciting as it is something I've been wanting to do for ages- We are not supposed to be a theatre team only. I told the artist that we were not after a 'Christian' piece: just to try out ideas around the general theme of abuse and forgiveness, and this was the result. We (Xpresso) loved it: I can't say what other people thought as we've heard nothing yet. At 120 by 200 cm (about 6' by 4') no-one could have missed it though,
Same applies to the 'Testament' presentation. I've hardly heard anything about what people thought, but I can't imagine it's because people have no opinion on the piece. It's that sort of story, and it was very convincingly played out by the team.
Actually I think this is better than when we do get feedback, as I've never been comfortable with the way services seem to be rated on what people think of them, as if we were an entertainment organisation. I'm hoping the lack of feedback either means that we pushed the boundaries enough that people had to think more, or maybe that we have opened up a couple of issues that people need to deal with. Either way it has achieved the goal of the piece.
A step forward, a deeply compelling presentation and some great artwork. Not bad for one weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment