Promotional video from “In Yer Face Christian Theatre Company”, based in Manchester. If it seems to take ages to load you can just visit the homepage here to get an idea of what they do.
It’s encouraging to come across things like this. IYF are known as a very hard, black-and-white, edgy, youth-focused Christian company. I recently ordered their script book to see what they do and the material in there is remarkably similar to what we are producing in Absolute Story/Xpresso. This is great because sometimes I wonder if I’m creating something worthwhile or doing this because I couldn’t hold down a real job: as if “storytelling” is a cop-out for “real evangelism”? I’m sure many people in full time ministry feel this.
Don’t get me wrong: most of the time I’m really excited about what I’m doing here. I love to write. I really like working with the people who make up Xpresso, all of them. The team is becoming more than a “Drama Group”, and is turning into a community of different people who genuinely care for each other, and incidentally make great theatre and stories which have an impact on people, but it’s good to be reminded that we aren't alone, I'm not wasting time, and that what we are producing isn't "a bit noddy or embarassing" but can stand comparison with the professionals.
Theres only one problem. Now I really need to get on with that script book...


No comments:
Post a Comment