Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Human Face

A further thought after my last post. Since I wrote that I started to read "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. Here's a story from it:

"I attended a rally against sweatshops overseas... I listened as a child from Indonesia stood to share and pointed to the giant scar on his face. 'I got this scar whem my master lashed me for not working hard enough. When it began to bleed, he did not wantme to stop working or to ruin the cloth in front of me, so he took a lighter and burned it shut. I got this making stuff for you.'
I was suddenly consumed by the overwhelming reality of the suffering body of Christ. Jesus now bore not just the marks from the nails and scars from the thorns, but a gash down his face, for when we have done it to the 'least of these we have done it to Christ himself. How could I possibly follow Jesus and buy anything from that master?"



No comments: