Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Missions Event

One of the comments yesterday was that we have too few “Missions Events”: times when we set out to reach people in our village. One example given was the big “Pro Christ” event we had last year. I saw the point, so when I was invited to an evangelistic outreach opportunity at 8am this very morning I naturally went for it.

This event was called “Large truck full of insulation sheets”. Our neighbour, Chris, is renovating his house, the truck had arrived earlier than expected, and he needed help with unloading. We got to know this family when I took a cup of coffee over one January evening when Chris was working in the then unheated house to make it livable. Since then, we made a point of trying to help them and demonstrate God’s love as much as we could.
So I made my sleepy way across the road and helped unload.

Actually the photo is cheating a bit because we realised that instead of sending 58 sheets as ordered the company sent 58 bundles so most of what you see went back with the truck. We ended up with seven bundles in a garage, and a happy neighbour.


This family have no interest in “Church” and a week long event like Pro-Christ, which cost several thousand Euros, would be unlikely to reach them. This, on the other hand, took half an hour, cost nothing and built a relationship further with them and another family who were involved.


I should be more careful about asking God for “Outreach Opportunities” I wonder if he’d start giving them to me after nine?

No comments: