Monday, February 25, 2008

168h Postscript.

My involvement in the 168h project ended on Thursday, which was frustrating in a way, but also a relief, as I was getting increasingly exhausted. For one used to working in theatre, film is a funny world. I was invited to work on the project by the Producer, who is the equivalent of a production manager in theatre, except that he isn't because a production manager has very little say (or even interest) in what is happening on stage and generally confines himself to dealing with the financial and managerial aspects of the project. In Film, it seems, the Producer has a lot of involvement and influence on the artistic decisions as well.

Anyway, I was asked to join a team of people and throw ideas around to fit to the theme “Set the captives free” and the bible verse we were sent which was about using our freedom to do good, not evil.

The brainstorming went well, with some really incredible moments- one notable one being where a team member began the evening with the absolute statement that there is 'no true good or bad' so we shouldn't take a moral position, and ended up agreeing that grace and forgiveness is far better than revenge. We also had the interesting experience of watching a group of very post-modern relativist students studying the bible.

In the event I was encouraged that an idea I suggested was taken as the basic concept, which at least showed that I can brainstorm with the big boys. After that though the scriptwriting was largely done by other team members, although I was nominally part of the team, and when I was sick on Friday the team took the story in a different direction.

Thus ended my brief foray into the world of film. I'm expecting that God had his reasons and I've learned a fair bit from the experience, and had some great opportunities to talk about God and about the church and spirituality. Hopefully it will make a difference in the lives of those I was working with- that'd be more satisfying than just having a script filmed.

No comments: