Monday, March 12, 2007

Missional Journey

Continuing my own journey, I'm finding the "Missional Movement" really interesting.

As far as I can tell (Note to the older and wiser readers: please tell me if I'm wrong) this movement is essentially a desire to return to our biblical roots as a church. There are people all over the world looking, kicking ideas about, questioning what it is to be a church, and seeking God.

I was also attracted to it because it’s everyday: people aren’t making big claims that this will “Revolutionise your life/ministry/work” or expecting emotional responses. Rather, the promises are that it’s tough, a long job, and it’ll hurt sometimes.

Many people are asking how we could move away from the idea of ‘getting people to come to church’ (One correspondent described this as “Become like us and we’ll accept you”) and moving the focus as a church and as individuals to finding ways to serve the people around us, where they are, and without asking for anything (Like a “Commitment” or even a “witnessing opportunity”) in return: simply offering a free gift of love and acceptance.

It’s a movement I feel at home in: it includes people from all backgrounds and many are focused on working within whichever church is local and open (rather than starting a new fellowship).

I'd like to hear from other people -who undoubtedly have more experience with this movement than I do- on what you think.

Further info on the missional discussion can be found on the “becoming missional” blog, or the Allelon network. I’d appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

No comments: