Monday, September 10, 2007

The reluctant Heroine:

From the end of Kirbe drama scene 1, currently under the snappy provisional title of: “Baroness Isabella von Katzenberg’s evil and despicable plans for world domination” The hero, Fortenbras, is trying to convince the heroine, Viola, to come and save the world; despite the fact that this doesn’t come with expenses. Viola isn't keen:

Viola: I can’t come now. I have a life to lead! I need to sort out my offshore account, water the dog and feed the cactus!
Fort: Pardon?
Viola: Feed the dog and water the cactus. Oh, and fix the dining room window.
Fort: Well, no matter if you come or not. I shall heed the call of the innocent. Even if it means certain death…I must go. Follow if you will! (exit)
(Pause)
Viola (to audience) And you can stop looking at me like that too. (Pause) I don’t need to go
Aud: Yes you do!
Viola: No I don’t!
Aud: Yes you do!
Viola: Hmm… (looks for excuse) Hey! He didn’t tell me where to go! Ha. Solved it! I don’t know where to find this Baroness! (Dramatic hero music, Enter Fortenbras.) Darn.
Fort: I return!
Viola: Let me guess…
Fort: I forgot to tell you where to find the portal to the other world!
Viola: Oh, how fortunate you remembered.
Fort: Indeed. To reach the portal for the other world of adventure, go to station road, number 37!
Viola: What?
Fort: Hey. I don’t write this stuff. Farewell, until our destinies meet! (exit)
(Pause)
Viola: You're all looking at me like that again. I don’t need to go! (Pause) okay, okay. You all want me to go don’t you?
Aud: Yes!
Viola: Okay, okay. Than I’ll go and find this ‘portal’. If you insist. Sometimes I think I’m turning into a good guy. I don’t know. See you in scene two then. Humph. (Exit. Butler removes remaining props and exits)

As you can see, not a very deep piece on one level, but better suited to the all-weekend party feel of the Kirbe festival. I really hope it's clear what that little section is really about.

Please keep praying as I write this and work on rehearsals for the very different ‘Turning point’. Please also pray for organisation and all the other bits and bobs that go into making this larger-than-usual presentation.

No comments: