Friday, September 29, 2006

First Rehearsal

This is the point where all the blocking that I’ve done on paper happens on the stage, and we see what works and more importantly, what doesn’t. In a real theatre we know the exact stage dimensions, but in a church situation the stage turns out to be bigger or -more usually- smaller than expected, or a set of drums will appear in a hitherto empty area. Something that looks good on paper can seen unnatural on a real stage, so I have to look out for that too.

Having set up the approximate stage we found that it was a bit smaller than I’d allowed for which meant a little less movement than I’d planned, but overall things worked. One of the team brought the guts of some old computers for the set, so the technical team had fun ferreting about for interesting bits, and we were able to block and run through scene one and two. No one crashed into the chairs or anyone else and it seems the furniture will fit.

You can’t ask for much more than that.

Next stage: Blocking Scene 3

No comments: