In the UK, Halloween is –with reason- seen as a very negative thing: especially in the church. The spiritual aspects of it are well documented, as is the witchcraft and other stuff. I know of pastors who lived where witchcraft was common being cursed and intimidated. While the rest of our society may not be so concerned about this the practice of “Trick-or-treat” where children go around the neighbourhood asking for sweets, is viewed with suspicion. Reasons cited include malicious “Tricks” and damage to property when callers are not given sweets, Children being harmed by householders, and older people being afraid to open the door on this night. For some time now the police have tried to discourage this, asking children to stay at home and house owners not to answer the door
All of which may help explain what happened last night. The doorbell rang and I opened it expecting some of our young people from church after the key or similar and group of children came in calling the German equivalent of “Trick or Treat”. At this point a combination of tiredness, grumpiness and about fifteen years growing up with a repeated message kicked me into autopilot and I just closed the door. It took some time for autopilot to switch off and for me to realise this was not the best way to build relationships and get to know people locally.
Culture is a funny thing isn’t it? Seven years after leaving the UK, I still react in the same way. This is after several years trying to reach out to people in any way I can. It is something to remember when I’m dealing with more ingrained cultural ideas here.
In the meantime, if anyone local hears about a grumpy guy on the Hauptstrasse from these kids, let them know quietly that there is an apology and a large Toblerone waiting for them…
All of which may help explain what happened last night. The doorbell rang and I opened it expecting some of our young people from church after the key or similar and group of children came in calling the German equivalent of “Trick or Treat”. At this point a combination of tiredness, grumpiness and about fifteen years growing up with a repeated message kicked me into autopilot and I just closed the door. It took some time for autopilot to switch off and for me to realise this was not the best way to build relationships and get to know people locally.
Culture is a funny thing isn’t it? Seven years after leaving the UK, I still react in the same way. This is after several years trying to reach out to people in any way I can. It is something to remember when I’m dealing with more ingrained cultural ideas here.
In the meantime, if anyone local hears about a grumpy guy on the Hauptstrasse from these kids, let them know quietly that there is an apology and a large Toblerone waiting for them…


No comments:
Post a Comment