Monday, November 12, 2007

Light relief.

I've noticed my blog posts have all been a bit serious lately, so here's a quotation from "Shakespeare in love" which I had to watch as part of my theatre studies course. A conversation between Fennyman, who is backing the current play, and Henslowe, the owner of the theatre.

Fennyman: The theatres are all closed by the plague!
Henslowe: Oh, that.
Fennyman: By order of the Master of the Revels!
Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, let me explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. Believe me, to be closed by the plague is a bagatelle in the ups and downs of owning a theatre.
Fennyman: So what do we do?
Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
Fennyman: How?
Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.

From “Shakespeare in love” by Marc Norman & Tom Stoppard
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Shakespeare-in-Love.html

Scary thing is, its often true.

No comments: