Travis and I disagree on just about everything except theology, and because of this, he's taught me a great deal. Travis is into the 'big picture' -he's from California after all. His wants to produce movies, and a film he co-produced early this year was shown at the Cannes Film Festival. He's ambitious, single-minded, and a natural risk taker.
Our response to a Stocherkahn (punt) is typical: Travis (who admittedly has some experience of the things) just leaps on and sends us off into the middle of the river while I'm still wobbling about on the deck and wondering how deep the water is at this point. Once moving he immediately propels us to the middle of the river and then hands the pole to me. Now, part of me really wants to do this, but part of me is aware that this is a very small platform, and I'm holding a five metre long (heavy) wooden pole, on a big river with a weir just downstream. And I am not a confident swimmer.I did it anyway.
Working with Travis is showing me that sometimes you just need to grab hold of the pole and shove it into the bottom of the river. I rotated the boat in several unintentional but rather entertaining circles, but never mind, it was fun.
I tried again later, and nearly sent us into a couple of other Stocherkäne, but by the time we arrived back in Tübingen I was a lot less wobbly, and travelling in an almost straight line and even managed to dock the Stocherkahn neatly against the bank, without hitting anyone else or falling in the river. I can hardly wait to have another go.


No comments:
Post a Comment